Last year, the Corps earned 2,310 hrs!
As of 3 Feb, 2020 we have earned 1,530.88 hours, or 12.25 hrs/cadet.
Mandatory event planning checklist: (PowerPoint), (Excel)
Cadets who earn hours in 8 or more CS events will receive the “Achievement” ribbon. Top performing cadets (examples: Coat drive, food drive, H2O fund) will receive a “Superior Performance” ribbon in May.
Suffolk Public School’s Community Service Requirement
Our AFJROTC unit requires cadets to earn hours in three (3) or more CSEs per year. Many CSEs are done in school and may be as simple as collecting donated items. Others require meeting off campus a designated place on a Saturday morning. When they participate, cadets earn “honor flight points,” receive a uniform ribbon or oak leaf cluster, and community service hours based on the criteria set forth before the event begins.
Possible unit awards: Outstanding Organization Award: Unit average of 8 hours of CS hours per cadet. Distinguished Unit Award: Unit average of 12 hours of CS hours per cadet. “Silver Star” Community Service with Excellence Award: The TOP 5% units in all of AFJROTC with the highest “cadet average” CS hours (11 Apr 2018, to 10 Apr 2019).
VA-20021 Award History: Outstanding Organization Award (2016-17) – earned from 1,113 community service hours between 137 cadets = 8.12 hr average . Distinguished Unit Award (2017-18) – earned from 1,728 community service hours between 139 cadets = 12.07 hr average.
Community Service Hours: AFJROTC may claim only those community service activities which meet the following criteria: A. The event is planned by the cadet staff and executed by the cadet corps B. Supervised by an AFJROTC instructor, who determines the CSE hours. C. Travel time for any event will not exceed 2 hours total
SPS Community Service page (Click HERE)Hitorical & Current Events Month Location
- “Gently used” Coat Drive October 14-25 NRHS
- “Driver Days” parade October 19 *Driver, VA
- Canned Food Drive December 1-13 NRHS
- Red Cross Blood Drive November 12 NRHS
- Christmas Tree Lot set up November 23 *Suffolk, VA
- Veterans Wreath Laying December 14 *Suffolk, VA
- Suffolk Christmas Parade December 7 *Suffolk,VA
- Soup Kitchen x 2 TBD TBD
- Red Cross Blood Drive January 14 NRHS
- Haiti school donation January (2021) NRHS
- Spartyka 5K Run support March 28 * Va Beach
- NRHS AFJROTC Field Day April (TBD) * NRHS
- H2O water well Feb 1 – 30 Mar various locations
- VFW Bataan Death March – Hike April 18 * Dismal Swamp Trail
- School Campus Clean-Up Once per Semester NRHS
- Sports “Event Staff” Detail Throughout the year NRHS
- Suffolk AFJROTC Field Day Apr or May * LHS (2020)
* Saturday event
Financial donations: Haiti school. We help provide funds for school supplies and school lunches for primary students in Beledere, Haiti. Our goal is for each cadet to donate $5 of their OWN money (earned through additional home chores or part time job).
Financial donations: H2O for Life Charity. AFJROTC has been collecting funds each year for the past four years to benefit a school or village in Africa. Last year we collected ~$2,200 toward new bathrooms and washing facilities for a primary school in a Ugandan refugee camp. Cadets collected loose change from students in the school cafeteria and supported several fundraisers after school.