Post High School Benefits available to cadets:
As per Department of Defense Instruction (DODI 1205.13)
Benefit #1: A cadet presenting evidence of successful completion of at least 2 academic years of the JROTC program is entitled to advanced promotion to the grade of E-2 on initial enlistment (after “Boot Camp”) in an Active or Reserve component of any US Military Service.
Benefit #2: At their discretion, the Military Service may award the grade of E-3 for successful completion of 3 academic years of the JROTC program.
Benefit #3: A student presenting evidence of successful completion of 3 academic years of JROTC may be entitled to not less than 1 year of credit in the Senior ROTC Program.
To earn a certificate, Cadets must meet all of these 7 requirements:
1. Enrolled full-time at Nansemond River High School (9th – 12th grade).
2. A US citizen. (HQ AFROTC approval required for non-citizens)
3. Self-Discipline: “Zero” Out-of-School-Suspensions (OSS) – 5 days or longer. No habitual (documented) disruptions in any high school classes.
4. Leadership: Command the 30-step drill sequence (steps memorized, minimal mistakes, a strong command voice) to a 90% or greater score (spring semester).
5. Community Service: Participate in three (3) or more JROTC community service events each
6. Uniform wear: No more than one (1) unexcused (forgot to wear) uniform inspection or two (2) grooming standard issues during the year.
7. Physical ability: Successfully meet the following standards in the last year of JROTC. Cadets must accomplish all three events within one class period (90 minutes).
Gender 1 Mile run Push-ups* Curl-ups*
Male 8:00 30 45
Female 10:00 15 35
* two minutes to complete these events