Dear Parents and Guardians,
I sent out an email late last week about Field Day. Please return the lunch forms and volunteer forms if you plan on helping as soon as possible. Remember the 2nd grade is wearing yellow t-shirts. Michaels has them for $2.50 and I found boys’ V neck shirts in yellow at the North Suffolk Walmart for $2.95 ish. That particular Walmart did not have them in yellow for girls but the boys’ shirt would look just fine.
Important things to know about homework are:
• Please write the title of the book your student read to you that day in his/her agenda.
• Please make sure your child reads TO you every night. They can check out books on Wednesday during library. However, if they need a new one before then, they can go before school.
• The spelling words are part of the reading skills for that week so please check that they are doing one menu item nightly and returning the assignment to school every day.
• I will send home a reading passage that your child needs to read to you nightly. There is 1 question to answer per day. Please sign and return these to me on Friday.
• On the weeks that your child has word sorts in the zipper pouch in the front of the binder, please make sure they practice nightly.
We will work on the following skills in Reading this nine weeks:
• Use consonants, consonant blends, and consonant digraphs to decode words.
• Use knowledge of short, long, and r-controlled vowel patterns to decode and spell words.
• Use information in the story to read words.
• Use knowledge of sentence structure.
• Use knowledge of story structure and sequence.
• Reread and self-correct
• Use vocabulary from other content areas.
• Ask and answer questions about what is read in fiction and nonfiction.
• Locate information to answer questions.
• Describe characters, setting, and important events in fiction and poetry.
• Identify main idea in fiction and nonfiction.
• Draw conclusions based on text.
In Science this week, we will continue learning about the parts of a plant and all the ways we use plants in our lives.
In Math this week we will continue working with money. In Social Studies we will continue our economics unit.
Mrs. Cindy Martie