1. About how much of the Earth’s surface is covered with water?
2. What is the bottom of the ocean floor covered with?
(sand, mud and rocks)
3. What are five important features of the ocean floor?
• Continental Shelf
• Continental slope
• Continental rise
• Abyssal Plain
4. Describe the Continental Shelf.
• Is relatively shallow
• Is home to most of the ocean life (including plants and animal).
• It begins at the shoreline and gently slopes underwater.
5. Describe the continental slope.
- It begins at the edge of the continental shelf and gradually deepens.
6. Describe the continental rise.
- A gently sloping area that connects the slope to the bottom of the ocean.
7. Describe the trench.
- It is the deepest part of the ocean.
8. Describe the abyssal plain.
- The flat area of the ocean floor.
9. What are the 3 motions of the ocean?
10. What is a wave?
- It is the up and down movement of water caused by wind.
11. What are tides?
- They are the rise and fall of the ocean water.
There are 2 lows and 2 highs in a 24 hour period.
12. Describe a current.
• Caused by wind patterns
• Moves in a circular motion
• Flows like a river through the ocean
• Differences in water density (temperature and salinity)
13. What is the Gulf Stream?
- It is a warm current that is located off the east coast of North America.
14. Explain what happens as the depth of the ocean increases.
• The pressure increases,
• The amount of light decreases.
• The temperature decreases.
• These factors affect plant and animal life.
15. What is salinity?
- A measurement that describes the saltiness of the ocean.
16. Why does salinity vary in different parts of the ocean?
• Rate of evaporation
• Amount of runoff water from the land
17. What is phytoplankton?
• Microscopic organisms that carry out most of the photosynthesis on Earth.
• They provide much of the Earth’s oxygen
• They are the base of the ocean food web
18. What is the difference between phytoplankton and zooplankton?
- Phytoplankton is plant –like, and zooplankton is animal – like.
19. State 3 factors that can affect where an organism lives.