8th grade students and their parents who are interested in pursuing the IB program in high school are invited to attend a Parent Information Night at King’s Fork High School on December 10, 2014 from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Click here to view the Timeline for the program’s due dates and deadlines.
Click here to view a flyer regarding the IB program.
University of Virginia Beginning in Spring 2015, all students from the state of Virginia who applied to the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Virginia (Charlottesville) and are placed on the waiting list for admission will be given the opportunity to enroll at our U.Va. campus in Wise, Virginia for two years …
University of Virginia
Beginning in Spring 2015, all students from the state of Virginia who applied to the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Virginia (Charlottesville) and are placed on the waiting list for admission will be given the opportunity to enroll at our U.Va. campus in Wise, Virginia for two years with a guarantee of admission to U.Va Charlottesville for their final two years of college. This option allows students to internally and automatically transfer to Charlottesville after two years at Wise or remain at Wise to complete their Bachelor’s degree. While we realize that this program will not be for every student, we do hope those who are interested in a degree from U.Va. will consider this new option.
•Student must be a Virginia resident.
• Student must apply to U.Va. Charlottesville’s College of Arts and Sciences and receive a waiting list decision.
• No application is required to enroll at Wise, once the student is placed on the waiting list for U.Va. Charlottesville. • Attend Wise and complete 60 hours of transferable credit before automatically transferring to U.Va. Charlottesville to complete the BA/BS degree.
• No application is required to transfer to U.Va. Charlottesville after the two year Wise commitment.
• Student must achieve a 3.0 cumulative GPA or better on a 4.0 scale at Wise.
• Student must satisfy all competency and area requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences at U.Va. Charlottesville while enrolled at Wise.
• Student must enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences at U.Va. Charlottesville. The University reserves the right to deny admission to any student who has been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a crime.
Christopher Newport University
Christopher Newport University has instituted a test-optional component to their application process. If students have at least a 3.5 cumulative grade point average or in the top 10% of their class, they can choose the option of not submitting test scores. Students who are applying for merit based scholarships are not eligible for this option.
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Commonwealth University has instituted a test-optional component to their application process. If students have at least a 3.3 cumulative grade point average they can submit their application without SAT/ACT scores. This must completed by submitting their request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org . Students applying for merit based scholarships are not eligible for this option.
George Mason University
George Mason University has the test-optional component to their application process. If a student has a 3.5 cumulative grade point average or in the top 20% of the class, they can choose the test-option waiver on their application. If the student is applying for a merit scholarship, they are not eligible for this option.
The Governor’s School for the Arts is hosting an Information Night on November 17, 2014 from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. It will be held in the King’s Fork Middle School Media Center. Click here for more information or contact Ms. Cobb in the guidance office.
Test #3 Tomorrow, Friday, 10-31-2014 — Study Chapters 1-8 ?
Our students participated in a commercial training workshop this weekend at VTA. Several were edited into a PSA for anti-bullying. The initial cut is online – you can see MANY NR kids in it:).
Check them out HERE
- Wellness Tip of the Day - Keep the backpacks from being too heavy. An overfilled backpack can hurt your back and leave you with some serious back and shoulder pain later. Make sure your backpack is properly fitted and avoid carrying around more than you need.
- JV Volleyball - All JV Volleyball players are asked to return their jerseys to Coach Smith in room 224 before or after school by Nov. 6th.
- Anime Club - The Anime Club is having a Halloween party on 10/30 in Ms. Newsome’s room (103). Remember that this is the last meeting you can come too without paying your dues.
- Academic Team - Hooray for our Academic Team. They soundly defeated King’s Fork yesterday by a score of 235 to 70. This victory was effectively led by team captain Joseph Ficklen, with able assistance by team mates Dixie Cox, Richard Hyman,Tyler Robinson, and Derek Sanchak. Way to go Warriors Academic Team!
- Attention Juniors and Seniors- The Josten’s Representative will be here today 10/30 and Friday 10/31 to take orders for class rings and Senior items such as cap & gown, invitations, etc..
- ROTC- canned food drive will be held November 3 – November 23rd. Please bring canned goods to the ROTC room.
- VOICE Club- Next VOICE club meeting is November 3rd. Seniors won’t want to miss this meeting!! All members are encouraged to attend. Voice has collected 151 pairs of socks. There is only two days left so the time to donate is now!! Can Nansemond River break 200 pairs of socks??? Drop them off at Ms. Lynn’s room anytime or bring them Thursday to be collected during 1st block.
- Basketball - Boys basketball tryouts for the upcoming season will be Nov. 10th 3:15 – 5:30 for all Freshmen and Sophomores and Nov. 11 from 9:00-12:00 for Juniors and Seniors. There is NO SCHOOL on the 11th so there will be NO bus service before and after practice.
To try out, you must have at least a 2.0 GPA and a current physical (dated AFTER May 1, 2014) on file here at NRHS.
There will be NO physicals given here at NRHS before tryouts begin but you can get one a IC NORCOM HS on NOV 6 beginning at 5:00. You must have $10 cash and your physical form signed by a parent/guardian BEFORE you take you physical.
- NHS - During all lunch shifts this Wednesday the 29th through Friday the 31st the National Honor Society will have a guessing jar set up and whoever guesses the closest will receive a Chipolte gift card! It’s .50 to place a guess and all proceeds will be going to the Michelle – 0 – Gram to help women who cannot afford yearly mammograms.
- SAT prep Class - will be held Thursday, Oct 30 at 3:15 in room 114. This will be the last SAT prep for the fall session. Participants will be given an opportunity to take 2 timed sections of the SAT at that time. This will give students an opportunity to test their skills in both reasoning and mathematics. Participants are asked to report to Room 114 at 3:15 and plan to stay until 4:15.
- 10th grade students- will be going to the Pruden Center on December 8th and 9th to tour the facility and explore the programs that are offered. Permission slips will be given out in English class and should be returned to Mrs. Fike in guidance no later than November 21st.
ATTENTION GRADUATING SENIORS- APPRENTICE PROGRAM - The Norfolk Naval Shipyard will start accepting applications on November 3, 2014 for its Apprentice Program and invites interested graduating seniors to apply. The apprentice program is a formal paid training program that teaches a persona trade while getting paid. It combines both on-the-job training with academic course work in partnership with Tidewater Community College (TCC). See the information folder on Mrs. Cruey’s door for more details.
- Guidance - Attention Seniors: Scholarship Bulletin number 2 is now available. Please see your English or Government teacher, librarian or counselor.
Saturday, November 1 – College and Career Readiness Fair @ King’s Fork Middle School from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm
Tuesday, November 4 – Election Day (No School for Students)
Tuesday, November 11 – Veteran’s Day (No School for Staff and Students)
Friday, November 14 – Parent-Teacher Conference Day (No School for Students)
Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held from10:00AM until 1:00PM and then again from 2:30PM until 6:00PM.
Saturday, November 15 – Suffolk Parent University @ King’s Fork Middle School from 8:30 am – 12:30 pm.
Tuesday, November 25 – ASVAB Testing
Wednesday, November 26 – Early Dismissal for Students
Students will be dismissed at 12:25 pm. Lunch will be served.
Thursday, November 27 & Friday, November 28 – Thanksgiving Holiday (No School for Staff and Students)
Information Session for Students & Parents
Current 8th-graders interested in finding out more about the Project Lead the Way – Pathway to Engineering are invited to attend this session. This four-year program is housed at Nansemond River High School, but is open to eligible students from any high school attendance zone with transportation provided.
- November 20, 2014
- 6:30 p.m.
- Nansemond River High School Auditorium
Applications will be distributed during the information session and will also be available in the middle schools after November 20, 2014.
Suffolk Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability,or age in its programs and activities.
For inquiries, contact Douglas Dohey at 925-6750.
Project Lead the Way is available to all eligible students enrolled in Suffolk Public Schools. Transportation is provided to students throughout the city.
The national website is www.pltw.org
Very important cumulative SOL test tomorrow — study Content Notes and do exercises (except multistep equations).
- Review Sheet
- Study all notes
Thursday, November 13th, is Fall make-up picture day at Driver!
Lifetouch is using a pre-paid system for pictures. If you would like to purchase a picture package, please fill out the picture order form, enclose your payment, and send it with your child on November 13th.
- The student must have the order form with them on picture day.
- Lifetouch will refund your money if you are not satisfied with your picture.
- You can make your payment online with a credit card. You will be given a payment code to write on your order envelope. Just write in the code and send the envelope with your student.
- Make checks payable to “Lifetouch”.
Picture makeup day is November 13th.
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held on Friday, November 14th, from 10:00AM until 1:00PM and then again from 2:30PM until 6:00PM. Teachers will send home a parent/teacher conference form to schedule times to meet. Please return these forms to your child’s teacher. If you do not have a scheduled time, please contact your child’s teacher. There will be NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS!
Thanks to Creekside’s newest Business Partner for the 2014-15 school year, Rodman’s Barbeque! We appreciate your support!
Sign up for Remind. Check it out on remind.com. Use this phone number: (757) 809-2118, and use the code for your class (see below).
2nd block – Remind code: @stoneblk2 HW: Complete the s8.1 Concept Map and ws, and p200 #2, 3, 5, 6. Cell Transport Quiz next class (focus on vocabulary). Nine Weeks Test next class.
4th block – Remind code: @stoneblk4 Nine Weeks Test next class. Bring 20 blank index cards to class Wed 11/5.
7th block – Remind code: @stoneblk7 Nine Weeks Test tomorrow and Friday. Bring 20 blank index cards to class on Mon 11/3.
Brown Bag Book Report Book reports are due Thursday, Oct. 30 and count as a TEST grade.
(Blue Booklet) Complete pp. 7, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32
Test tomorrow on Sols 6.1 and 6.2….study everything in your interactive notebook dealing with 6.1 and 6.2.