Suffolk Public Schools will dismiss early on Friday, December 19, 2014. Dismissal time for high schools is 12:25 p.m. Lunch will be served. Winter Break will begin at this time.
School will resume on January 5, 2015. January 5 with be an ODD Day.
Nansemond River High DECA Warriors DISTRICT 21 WINNERS
Hotel and Lodging Management Series Event
Comprehensive Exam – 3rd Place Larry Goodman
Customer Relations Event – 2nd Place Larry Goodman
Pricing & Information Tech Applications Event – 1st Place Larry Goodman
Overall Winner – 2nd Place Larry Goodman
Human Resources Management Series Event
Comprehensive Exam – 1st Place Tala Hughes and
2nd Place Joshua George
Emotional Intelligence Event – 1st Place Tala Hughes and
2nd Place Joshua George
Human Resource Management – 1st Place Tala Hughes and
2nd Place Joshua George
Overall Winner – 1st Place Tala Hughes and 2nd Place Joshua George
Marketing Management Series Event
Comprehensive Exam – 3rd Place Bre’Aunna Rush
Economics Event – 3rd Place Bre’Aunna Rush
Product/Service Management – 3rd Place Bre’Aunna Rush
Overall Winner – 3rd Place Bre’Aunna Rush
Principles of Business Management and Administration Event
Comprehensive Exam – 1st Place Ryan Fisher
Communication Skills Event – 1st Place Ryan Fisher
Overall Winner – 1st Place Ryan Fisher
Principles of Finance Event
Comprehensive Exam – 1st Place Margaret Runyon and
2nd Place Michael Collins
Financial Analysis Event – 1st Place Margaret Runyon and 2nd Place Michael Collins
Overall Winner – 1st Place Margaret Runyon and 2nd Place Michael Collins
Principles of Marketing Event
Comprehensive Exam – 2nd Place Kiely Nolan
Emotional Intelligence Event – 3rd Place Kiely Nolan
Overall Winner – 3rd Place Kiely Nolan
Personal Financial Literacy Event
Comprehensive Exam -2nd Place Matt Schatzel and 3rd Place Tyus Joyner
Communications Strategy Event – 2nd Place Matt Schatzel and 3rd PlaceTyus Joyner
Overall Winner – 2nd Place Matt Schatzel and 3rd Place Tyus Joyner
Overall Winner – 2nd Place Diamond Parker and 4th Place Kean’ta Morton
Social Media – Overall Winner – 1st Place Cydney Folson
A very special thanks to Mrs. Parker who worked in Tabulations for the Event. Mrs. Annie Patterson and Mrs. Newell served as Chaperones and we appreciate the time they all took to come out and support the DECA WARRIORS! Mrs. Duncan is the DECA Advisor and the DECA District 21 Co Advisor.
Finish Midpoint Study Guide
The Midpoint Test is tomorrow – 12-18th — STUDY!
JFKMS students and teachers have been busy decorating their doors for the holidays. Click here to vote for your favorite!
Downtown Suffolk businesses are cheerier thanks to SPS students! On Tuesday, December 2, some of Creekside’s Talented Art students took a field trip to paint the windows of Subway in downtown Suffolk. The students used their artistic abilities to design snowmen, trees and animals in a festive winter scene.
Three Lakeland High School Art students recently painted two large metal cans to be used for recycling purposes in the park behind Farm Fresh on Main Street. The contest was sponsored by the City of Suffolk as part of the Keep Virginia Beautiful campaign.
There were four entries from area high schools (NSA, KFHS, and two from LHS). Lakeland senior, Tori Rountree, won first place! Savannah Devers and Kellie Markovich (together) also had an entry. Tori’s can is up front on the left. Savannah and Kellie’s can is up front on the right.
Congratulations to these young ladies who did an outstanding job creating and painting original designs.
Wellness Tip of the Day – Happy Holidays!! Remember during the holidays it’s okay to feel the way you feel. Set realistic expectations , do what makes you feel relaxed, happy and well.
- Attention Seniors!! If you have an application that is due on January 1st, you must request transcripts by Thursday, December 18th for it to get processed before the deadline!! If you are using the Common App or SENSedy, please also turn in a resume to Mrs. Cruey by Thursday. Transcripts will not be processed over the holiday.
- Band- The Nansemond River Jazz Band and Concert Band will present a Winter Concert tonight @ 7:00p.m in the auditorium. The concert is free and open to the public.
- FCA- Fellowship of Christian Athletes- will have a meeting this Friday @ 6:30 at the Henderson’s home in Burbage Grant. Transportation will be available. Please see Chris Henderson for more details.
- FBLA- wants to THANK everyone for their donations and participation in the Angel Tree. Without you, it would not have been a success!! Also if by any chance you still have an Angel Tree gift, please bring it to Mrs. Simmons in Room 118 this morning.
- JV Girls Basketball- There will be no JV Girls Basketball practice today!! All players should plan to ride the bus home.
- National Honors Society- Chick-Fil-A calendars will be in today so National Honors Society members can pick them up in the morning from Mrs. Murray’s room.
- Girls Basketball- Congratulations to our Lady Warriors Basketball Team for their 64-42 victory over Oscar Smith last night. The Ladies were led by Aneka Yelverton with 15 points, Brian Autrey with 16 points, 6 steals and 4 assist, Daijah Norris with 13 points and 8 rebounds. The Lady Warriors return to action tomorrow at King’s Fork!! JV will play at 5:45 and Varsity will play at 7:15. Come out and support the Lady Warriors!!.
- Field Hockey- Congratulations to Claire Janek (midfielder) and Ashley Hiltabrand (defender) for making Second Team All State! Way to go, girls!!
- Football- Anyone interested in playing football for the 2015 season (that is not wrestling or playing basketball) should report to a team meeting at 3:15 in the weight room on Monday, January 5th.Anime Club- meeting is this Thursday, December 18th in Mrs. Newsome’s room 103. Remember if you want to participate in Secret Santa you have to bring your gift to this meeting.
- Model Judiciary- If you are interested in being on the Model Judiciary team and have NOT spoken to Mrs. Francis- there will be a short meeting today after school in Room 100!!
- VOICE- There will be a short VOICE meeting on Thursday, December 18th after school in Room 107. We are making crafts.
- ROTC- JROTC will be taking donations for the children of Haiti during all lunch shifts. If you like to donate, there will be JROTC cadets to help you. Thank you for your support.
- Toys for Tots- Please help DECA support Toys for Tots this Christmas by donating preferably new or gently used toys to Mrs. Duncan in Room 230. These toys can be turned in December 8-17 and need to be for children under 12. Thank you for all your support and generous donations.
- Guidance – Guidance is conducting an informal survey to find out how many students would be interested in Fire Science courses for next year, please see your guidance counselor to let them know.
- STUDENTS- it is very IMPORTANT that you turn in your federal form in the front office. We are still missing quite a bit. We must have one for every student. If you did not receive one, please pick one up from the front office!!
- SENIORS - If you have requested scholarship applications form guidance, please pick them up.
- Attention Students!! The Aviation Institute of Maintenance- located in Norfolk is an aviation career school that provides training for aircraft mechanics and aircraft maintenance technicians. They will waive application fees this week. Students who would like more information regarding the school are asked to see Ms. Harrell in the guidance office.
- FBLA - FBLA T-shirts have Arrived!! FBLA members can pick up their FBLA T-shirts in Mr. Bartholomew’s room (121) before school, after school or during 6th block.The FBLA is selling candy cane-grams everyday during lunches. The cost is one dollar and they will be delivered to the recipients Thursday, December 18th. Buy a candy cane-gram and support our FBLA! Also, there are still Angels left on the tree in the main office; please stop by the main office to pick one up. Instructions are on the back of the Angel. You have only one week left!
- Science Club – It is that time again! The Science Club is collecting plastic bags now through April. Please start bringing you bags to room 219 and 218. Thanks for your support!
Art Students from Suffolk Public Schools decorate the windows of several downtown businesses.
(INp.50) Complete the Sol 6.7 word problem #3 worksheet that we attached. Show your work in your interactive notebook under the attached worksheet.
I am attaching the cubing activity on classifying triangles that we discussed in class. It is a quiz grade. You must complete the assignment individually. Please check with me before transferring your work onto the cubing template. If you would prefer to draw the template yourself that is allowed as well.CUBING.activity.geometry.12.16.14
Sign up for Remind. Check it out on remind.com. Use this phone number: (757) 809-2118, and use the code for your class (see below).
1st block – Remind code: @stoneblk1 No homework
5th block – Remind code: @stoneblk5 Book report due next class.
7th block – Remind code: @stoneblk7 No homework
Last week of school for calendar year 2014 … we’re practically at the midpoint!
Benchmark Test #2 begins on the 17th and may take as much as two days to complete. This is the 2nd of three grade-defining tests … you will be working on prepatory in-class and homework assignments … and use your content review notes to study … this test could have a major impact on your Algebra readiness! Best Wishes to you and your family for a joyous holiday break!
There is NO written homework the rest of the week!!
Please make sure to continue reviewing Science material to keep it fresh upon our return in January!!
Have a great holiday break!!
I’m very proud to announce that both math classes achieved their mastery goals of 80% or higher! Congratulations to my homeroom for earning a 93% mastery rate on their 2NW’s Math benchmark and Mrs. Peek’s homeroom for earning an 83% mastery rate! Excellent work!
Sungard will fix an issue tonight from 5:00 to 6:00 that resulted from yesterday’s eSchool update. Teachers should stay out of TAC during this time to avoid any loss of data.
The Benchmark test is tomorrow!!!!! Please study all notebooks and blue booklets!
Benchmark test tomorrow. Study all Sols taught thus far.
Jan. 5 School Reopens
Jan. 19 Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday, schools closed
Jan. 21-23 Early Dismissal- 1:20, lunch will be served
Jan. 26 Early Dismissal- 1:20, lunch will be served