Volunteers are definitely needed too. Please contact email@example.com to help our Kilby Shores students.
Parent/Student Information Session
- WHO: Current 8th-graders and their parents from FGMS, JFKMS, JYMS, and KFMS
- Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 6 p.m.
- King’s Fork High School Auditorium
The IB program is available to all eligible students enrolled in Suffolk Public Schools, regardless of their zoned high school. Transportation is provided to students throughout the city.
Learn more: http://blogs.spsk12.net/internationalbaccalaureate/ and also at the national site: www.ibo.org
-memorize weight and mass conversions
-4.4 plants quiz tomorrow
Sign up for Remind. Check it out on remind.com. Use this phone number: (757) 809-2118, and use the code for your class (see below).
1st block – Remind code: @stoneblk1 HW: Watch the Crash Course video titled ATP & Respiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00jbG_cfGuQ&index=7&list=PL3EED4C1D684D3ADF Define new vocabulary terms that are discussed. Cell Poster project due Mon 11/24 (next class). Ch 9 Test on Mon 12/1.
5th block – Remind code: @stoneblk5 Cell Poster project due Mon 11/24. Book report – first three quotes & reflections due Mon 11/24; complete book report due Thurs 12/18.
7th block – Remind code: @stoneblk7 If needed, complete 6 of 8 questions on the Reteaching Skills #15 ws. Cell Poster project due Mon 11/24.
The FBES PTA is proud to present the Elf Shelf Holiday Shop! The shop will be open from Saturday, December 6th to Friday, December 12th. The Elf Shelf will give your child the opportunity to shop for friends and family members in the secure atmosphere of our school. All of the gifts are “kid priced” with most being in the $1.00 to $5.00 range. Many items are priced at $1.00 or less. On Wednesday, Dec. 4th and Thursday, Dec. 5th the students will have the opportunity to preview the items for sale in the shop. They will receive a “gift guide envelope” where they can list the amount that they will be allowed to spend for each family member and/or friend. All items purchased in the store will be packaged in a bag with a gift tag ready for student to place under the tree. Students will be allowed to shop on their scheduled day. Parents will have the opportunity to purchase items during the “Breakfast with Santa” festivities and each morning during the week of Dec. 7th – 12th from 8:30 a.m. until 915 a.m.. The shop accepts CASH ONLY.
We are looking for volunteers! If you are available to help, please click on the link below for the flyer, print it, fill in the form at the bottom and send it to school with your child.
p.424 #1 and 2
p.425 #5 and 6
Google Classroom is a free suite of productivity tools including Gmail, Docs and Drive. Classroom is designed to help teachers create and collect assignments paperlessly, including time-saving features like the ability to automatically make a copy of a Google document for each student. It also creates Drive folders for each assignment and for each students to help keep everyone organized.
Easy setup, saves time, improves organization, enhances communication, is free and secure.
Watch the video below and click this link for more information!
Suffolk Public Schools will be closed on Thursday, November 27, and Friday, November 28, for the Thanksgiving holiday. Wednesday, November 26, is an early dismissal day- CES will dismiss at 1:20. Lunch will be served.
With the holidays approaching, many classes will be having special activities and celebrations. If you would like to take part in these activities, please be sure that you have a Volunteer Form approved and on file 24 hours before the event.
Click below for Volunteer Guidelines
Interested in a career in science and/or math? Want to get more hands on training while still in high school? Then the Biomedical Sciences Program may be for you!
There will be a Parent Information Session on December 2nd at 7 pm in the Auditorium of Lakeland High School. There will also be a tour of the laboratory.
The program is open to current 8th-graders zoned to attend any of the three high schools. School bus transportation will be provided. Students wishing to participate in the Biomedical Sciences program must submit a completed application by January 9, 2015. Middle school guidance offices have applications. The first freshman class will be no more than 20 students.
8th grade students and their parents who are interested in pursuing the IB program in high school are invited to attend a Parent Information Night at King’s Fork High School on December 10, 2014 from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Click here to view the Timeline for the program’s due dates and deadlines.
Click here to view a flyer regarding the IB program.
Lifetouch Pictures will be at Lakeland on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 to take individual and team pictures. We will have two photographers. ALL pictures will be taken in the gymnasium. Each group dressed and ready 10 minutes before the scheduled time. 3:30 – Wrestling and Swimming 3:45 – Varsity Boys’ Basketball and Varsity Girls’ Basketball 4:00 – …
Lifetouch Pictures will be at Lakeland on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 to take individual and team pictures. We will have two photographers. ALL pictures will be taken in the gymnasium.
Each group dressed and ready 10 minutes before the scheduled time.
3:30 – Wrestling and Swimming
3:45 – Varsity Boys’ Basketball and Varsity Girls’ Basketball
4:00 – JV Boys’ Basketball and JV Girls’ Basketball
4:15 – Boys’ Indoor Track and Varsity Cheer
If athletes choose to purchase pictures, the money is due on the day the pictures are taken. Athletes must have exact change or checks made payable to Lifetouch.
5th Grade students have been learning about Native American groups in social studies (SOL USI.3). Students shared their knowledge via projects!
2nd Grade students recently traveled to a local farm sponsored by The Virginia Tech Agricultural Outreach.
- Wellness Tip of the Day - Metabolism- To maintain a healthy metabolism, avoid skipping meals. In general, it is best to eat every 3-4 hours, enjoying healthy snacks in between meals.
- STUDENTS!!!! - Please do not forget to turn in your Federal Forms!!! They can be turned into your 1st Block teachers ASAP!
- Attention Students!! The Aviation Institute of Maintenance- located in Norfolk is an aviation career school that provides training for aircraft mechanics and aircraft maintenance technicians. They will waive application fees this week. Students who would like more information regarding the school are asked to see Ms. Harrell in the guidance office.
- Attention Seniors!! - Interested in helping plan prom??? - There will be a Prom Committee Interest Meeting on Tuesday, November 25th in Room 228 at 3:00 p.m.
- Food for Fines- Friday is the last day to pay off your library fines with canned goods!! Each item turned in will take off $1.00. So get your fines paid off and help the Southeastern Food Bank of VA as well!!
- NRHS FBLA CAR SHOW- Come out November 22nd from 10-2 here at Nansemond River and enjoy the FBLA’s car show!! A minimum of 5 non-perishable food items or $5.00 will get you into the event. Cars will be judged by the number of foods placed in front of the car. The one with the most wins!! This event is benefiting the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia so come out and show your support!
- Fresh Florida Citrus Fruit!!! Don’t forget to order your fresh Florida fruit and support the Marching Warriors. See any marching band member to place your order or e-mail Mr, Woodis. Fruit will be delivered to the school on December 12th. Congratulations to the Magnificent Marching Warriors for participating in the Western Branch HS Band Day. The band won 1st place Dance, 2nd place Drum Major, 2 place Majorette, and 2nd place Band overall!!
- TUTORING TIME & CHANGES -
ATHLETICS & ACTIVITIES
- ROBOTICS - Today’s FIRST Robotics meeting is rescheduled for next Tuesday.
- Girls’ Soccer - There will be a mandatory Girls’ Varsity Soccer meeting for those girls who are interested in trying out for the Varsity Soccer Team. The meeting will be held in room 172 on Tuesday, November 25th at 3-15-4:00pm. If you are playing another sport and interested in playing girls’ soccer please stop by the office and see Mrs. Rountree.
- Academic Team - Hooray for our Academic Team. They defeated Phoebus yesterday by a score of 230 – 95. This victory was effectively led by team captain Joseph Ficklen, with abel assistance by teammates Richard Hyman, Ryan Greening, Rhiannon Glossin, Dixie Cox and Derek Sanchak. Way to go Warriors Academic Team!
- Varsity Girls Volleyball- All girls’ volleyball players are asked to return their uniforms and bags by November 24th. You must be cleared prior to being issued another school uniform.
- BETA- There will be a Beta Meeting on Thursday, November 20 directly after school in the library. This meeting is for all current and new members. Please be on time and bring a pair of gloves to donate.
- Science Club - It is that time again! The Science Club will be collecting plastic bags. Now through April. Please start bringing you bags to room 219 and 218. Thanks for your support!
- BETA - Beta Club is now participating in GLOVEmber! Students are asked to please bring in a pair of gloves to donate to domestic violence victims. We will collect them each Thursday morning of the month! BETA invitees are reminded to pick up your letter from room 111, if you have not already don so. Also, the $45 fee is due no later than this Friday (11/14/14) to Ms. Hatfield BETA induction ceremony will be on Monday, Nov. 17th. New members are to dress appropriately and arrive no later than 6:30pm.
- AFJROTC- canned food drive will be held November 3 – November 23rd. Please bring canned goods to the ROTC room.
- 10th grade students- will be going to the Pruden Center on December 8th and 9th to tour the facility and explore the programs that are offered. Permission slips will be given out in English class and should be returned to Mrs. Fike in guidance no later than November 21st.
- NRHS’s Theatre Team will be performing at Monticello High school for States on December 1. We are so proud of you all and know you will bring it home to Nansemond River!
Write ‘Em and Round ‘Em
The Space Grant Consortium, UVA and VA Tech are offering a free summer program for 9th grade students interested in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math). The students will spend three exciting days on the campus of the University of Virginia or Virginia Tech engaged in hands-on STEM activities and demonstrations led by experienced faculty members. The Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology (BLAST) program is designed to attract students who are motivated to learn, but had not yet shown an interest in STEM course work. Program information and the application can be found online at http://blast.spacegrant.org The deadline is February 2, 2015.