1st-4th Grade Awards Ceremony: Wednesday, June 11th @ 2:00 p.m.
DECA is selling the Spring Value Check Coupon books in order to purchase DECA Blazers for the students to wear throughout the school year. We would appreciate your support in this project. The books are $12.00 each. Checks may be made payable to Nansemond River High School or Cash! Again, thank you for your continued support of the Marketing Education Program/DECA Club at Nansemond River High School! Please see Mrs. Duncan before or after school.
- FCCLA - will meet immediately after school on Thursday in room 117. State winners should wear T-Shirts and bring medals to school. All members are invited to attend. Reminder please pick up Krispy Kreme pre-selling forms this morning or before leaving school today!
- CTE Dept. - The CTE Career Expo is this Thursday, April 24th. Permission slips are due to your CTE teacher or Mrs. J. Smith by Wednesday morning. Seniors attending are reminded that 6 copies of you resume are required. Students can stay after Wednesday for a resume finalizing session at 3:00pm
- River Revolution - The meeting for today (4/23) has canceled.
- FBLA - This is a reminder to all FBLA members that there will be a meeting held on Thursday, April 24th from 3 until 3:45 in room 118. Your attendance is expected!
- ROTC - The ROTC cadets are collecting donations each day this week during all lunch periods in order to raise money to have a water well installed at Abela Primary School in Uganda. Than you for your generous support.
- Students - If you have made arrangements to stay back for tutoring on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays then you must have a signed, dated,and timed pass from your teacher once your tutoring session has ended. If you are caught inside the building without a signed pass, then you will be suspended. You must have the pass with you to enter the library to wait for the 4:30 bus. In addition, any student staying back for athletic conditioning should report directly to their designated area and should not be roaming the building or hanging out in the library. Students caught out of area will be suspended.
- Yearbook - Yearbooks are on sale! Buy them on-line at Jostens.com or follow the link on the NRHS homepage. If paying with cash or check, see Mrs. Young in Room 127 before school.
- All Staff and Students - Remember to bring in your Farm Fresh receipts to the library to help us get valuable supplies, DVD’s, and books for the library.
- Girls Tennis- Congratulations to the girls tennis team and their 9-0 win over Deep Creek, individual winners Kim Stiehler, Krysta Jewette, Brooke Street, Jynasis Sadler, Erin Bonney, and MacKenzie Roach.
- Boys Tennis- Congratulations to the boys tennis team for their victory over Deep Creek High School yesterday.
Nansemond River celebrates Mr. McLemore’s birthday this week!
Below are the links to the recordings that you should use to rehearse God Bless America.
This week is Administrative Professionals’ Week, so remember to tell your school office staff how much you appreciate them.
Reading: We are reading various stories from our reading series. Our word skills this week are ai and ay patterns. We are using the 5 Whs (question words): who, what, where, when, why, and how; beginning, middle, and end of the stories we read, and the main idea for nonfiction stories and dictionary skills for reading. We are working on capitalization and punctuation in writing, as well as sharing our writing with others. Spelling words are the -ai, -ay pattern.
Math: We are finishing with measurement using nonstandard forms (length, weight, capacity/volume). We will be reviewing all skills to prep for our end-of-the-year test. Continue to practice all skills at home. Study guides will go home next week.
Science: We are studying water and will begin reviewing all skills next week. We will assess one to two skills per week (investigation is included as one of the skills).
Social Studies: We are finishing our economics unit and will review all skills learned this year. We will assess two SOLs each week for our reviews.
Thursday is our water science circus activities. Approved volunteers are welcome. Students may bring a towel or blanket to enjoy while eating their picnic lunch outside. We were not planning to eat in the cafeteria or go through the lunch line that day, as all activities will be outside. Thank you for your support while we enjoy exploring water and its properties!
Homework April 21st-April 25th
We are also accepting donations of M&M’s and Skittles for math practice.
J Thank you in advance!
1. Math Notebooks, Reading Notebooks, and Social Studies/Science Binders should come home every night.
2. All answers to any science and social studies questions can be found in the science/social studies binder or on the blog.
3. Reading MAP testing April 22nd
4. Math MAP testing- May 1
5. Spelling Words Week 22
6. Multiplication Timed Quiz Friday- 10’s
7. Reminder of Tutoring-
Mrs. Fleming- Tuesdays
Mrs. Patton- Tuesdays and Thursdays
Mrs. Soriano- Tuesdays and Thursdays
Monday- Homework Sheet- Xtra Math- Don’t forget to practice your facts, Spelling City- Complete one activity
Tuesday- Homework sheet- Xtra Math-Don’t forget to practice your facts, Spelling City-Compete one activity
Wednesday- Xtra Math. Spelling City- Complete one activity. Brain Dump sheet
Thursday- Prepare for your spelling test Friday- Spelling City complete one activity, Math Multiplication Test on 10’s, Xtra Math
Sign up for Remind 101. Go to remind101.com, use this phone number: (757) 809-2118, and use the code for your class (see below).
1st block – Remind 101 code: @stoneblk1 If needed, finish the Evolution ws and Moth Experiment ws. Homework: Watch the Bozeman Science video titled Cladograms. Copy the A-G cladogram and traits. Fill in the remaining derived traits. Draw in where YOU would put H, and write a sentence or two explaining your choice. http://www.bozemanscience.com/cladograms Vocabulary Quiz on Ch 15, 17, and 2 on Mon 4/28.
5th block – Remind 101 code: @stoneblk5 If needed, finish Classification of Life ws, Identifying Unusual Animals ws, and pp464-465 #6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 18-24. Evolution & Classification Test next class.
7th block – Remind 101 code: @stoneblk7 If needed, finish the Classification of Life ws. Evolution & Classification Test on Thurs 4/24.
Earth Day started this date 44 years ago (the year I graduated high school) … WOW! ….
Today’s lesson on two handouts including the homework focused on identifying the domain and range of a function … on a graph, in a table, from ordered pair, in an equation, and in words. Check out the Big Ideas textbook, pages 126 – 127 for details.
2014 Spring SOL Tutoring Schedule Mr. Earl Jones (room 125) will also be tutoring VA/US History on the following dates: Tuesday, April 22 – 3:15 – 4:15 Thursday, April 24 – 3:15 – 4:15 Monday, April 28 – 3:15 – 4:15 Wednesday, April 30 – 3:15 – 4:15 Friday, May 2 – 3:15 – 4:15 …
Mr. Earl Jones (room 125) will also be tutoring VA/US History on the following dates:
SCA Officer Application - The SCA Officer Application form is available. All paperwork (applications and recommendations) are due to Mrs. Smither-Waller by Friday, May 16, 2014.
Block 1 – Stairway/Conversions Quiz Thursday – Complete INBp11 (Textbook p256 #11-19)
Block 2 – Stairway Conversions Quiz Friday – Complete INBp 17 (Textbook p256 #11-19) and INBp18 (Textbook p257 #23-28)
Block 3 – Stairway Conversions Quiz Thursday – Complete 10 examples (from board) INBp 11
What we are learning
This is the last week for our theme, “Growing and Changing.” We will read stories about how plants and animals grow and change in the spring. We will listen to the classic folktale Jack and the Beanstalk. You can read other versions of this story with your child and talk about how the stories are alike and different. The new letter this week is the letter Dd. We will read about the Ugly Duckling, play dominos and make a domino snack.
Sight words to review: a, like, see, the, I, to, go,
NEW SIGHT WORS: jump, run
Please continue to review all of the letters and letter sounds we have learned so far (Ss,Tt,Pp,Oo,Yy,Bb,Uu,Ff,Xx,Ww,Zz,Mm,Aa,Rr,Cc,Qq,Vv,Jj,Hh,Ii,Gg,Ee).
Kilby Shores Elementary School hours for the 2014-15 school year will be 9:20 to 3:35 pm. Student may arrive No Earlier than 8:50 am.
For the complete list of school hour changes and a video link of the meeting please visit www.spsk12.net
What we are learning
This week we will continue with the theme “Growing and Changing.” The letter this week is Ee. I have reminded the students how tricky the vowel sounds are as the “e” sound is similar to “i” and “a” sounds. We will dye eggs on Monday, and discuss how we can care for the Earth for Earth Day on Tuesday. We will discuss recycling and sort recyclable objects on Wednesday.
Also, we will study the lifecycle of a butterfly and describe the phases.
The children have really enjoyed seeing each other as babies. Thanks for the pictures!
Please continue to review all of the letters and letter sounds we have learned so far (Ss,Tt,Pp,Oo,Yy,Bb,Uu,Ff,Xx,Ww,Zz,Mm,Aa,Rr,Cc,Qq,Vv,Jj,Hh,Ii,Gg).