The Suffolk Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc is sponsoring an Essay Contest for Middle School Students. The topic is “What I can do to make the world a better place to live.” The deadline is April 11th. Please see Dr. Wilkins for more information.
Students, the FGMS fundraiser has been extended to Monday, March 9th. Please support our great school by selling as many items as you can. Remember, the more you sell, the more great prizes you will receive!
With the snow days, the end of the 3rd nine weeks has been extended until 4/3/15.
Yearbooks are on sale now online! Order yours today for $35 when you buy online. After May 15th all purchases must be done at school and the price will be $40. Yearbooks should arrive In June. Click here to save $5 and order now!
4-4 Study Guide (odd)
Graded assignment (proportions) 3/10
(INp.36) (red) p.525 #27-29
(green) p.527 “Your Turn” a, b, c
Sol. 6.13A tomorrow
Please sign and return the promotion letter that was sent home with your report card.
Virginia’s residents have access to National Geographic Kids through FindIt Virginia for FREE! National Geographic Kids includes summaries on various topics, books, magazines, images, and videos. A read-a-loud feature is available for all written content.
National Geographic Kids has 92 videos, 1,314 kids magazines, and 263 books. Topics include DNA, extinction, ecology, animals, economics, civil rights, famous people, habitats and much more. Take a look at my favorite book on the site, Mummies.
Access the site through the link on the Staff Portal.
The 3rd Annual “Shamrock Shenanigans” will be held Monday, March 16th thru Wednesday, March 18th to help support the 2015 Suffolk Education Foundation Campaign
Florence Bowser Elementary will begin it’s SEF Student Campaign from March 4th – March 9th.Click on the following link for the student campaign flyer and student contribution form.
(Due to school closings in the month of February the campaign has been shortened.)
Student contributions will allow students to participate in a 3 day event of “Shamrock Shenanigans” all in honor of St. Patrick’s Day on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 and to help support the continued effort of the Suffolk Education Found.
Schedule of Events
Monday, March 16th – “Pot O’Gold” Guessing Game Winners (one per grade level) will be announced at end of day and receive their prize.
Tuesday, March 17th – Mad Hatter Day & Tattoo’s Too!!
Wednesday, March 18th – “Jiggity Jig Sham-ROCK Dance”
Sign up for Remind. Check it out on remind.com. Use this phone number: (757) 809-2118, and use the code for your class (see below).
1st block – Remind code: @stoneblk1 HW: Watch the Bozeman Science video titled What is DNA? Take notes on the structure of DNA and nucleotides, and on DNA replication. Genetics Test on Mon 3/9.
5th block – Remind code: @stoneblk5 If needed, finish Ch 12 BioApplication ws and Ch 10 Thinking Critically ws. HW: Watch the Bozeman Science video titled Chromosomal Genetics. Take notes on the various inheritance patterns.
7th block – Remind code: @stoneblk7 HW due tomorrow: Watch the Bozeman Science video titled What is DNA? Take notes on the structure of DNA and nucleotides, and on DNA replication. Genetics Test on Fri 3/6.
Study Island (Tic-Tac-Toe) Board
3rd Benchmark (Week of March 30) CUMULATIVE
Here is a resource for you to use as you work with your child on points, lines, line segments, rays, and angles. PPT_SOL_4_10_Lines_points_rays_angles
March of Dimes Spirit Week
March 16th – 20th
Mon. March 16th – Hat Day – $1.00
Tues. March 17th – Shamrock-O-Grams – $1.00
Wed. March 18th – Homework Pass – $1.00 (May purchase up to 5)
Thur. March 19th – Gum Day – $1.00
Fri. March 20th – Pajama Day – $1.00 (Staff – Jean/Sneaker Day $5)
Baby Squares to display on classroom door are $1.00 each. The class with the most squares will win a delicious ice cream party!!
Pie in the Face Contest- $1.00 for each ticket to vote for a participating teacher to get a pie in the face on Field Day!!!!
Thank you for supporting March of Dimes
Math: Identifying Units of Length worksheet
Memorize Length conversions (use the chart we glued in your notes)
Study SOL 4.7
Quiz on 4.7 on Friday
See you rested and refreshed Monday!
Review Notes, daily.
Due to the recent snow days, we haven’t taken any assessments, therefore, no graded papers will be distributed this week. We will resume distribution next week. If you have any questions, please let me know.
The month of March is officially designated by the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) for the observance of Music In Our Schools Month (MIOSM®), the time of year when music education becomes the focus of schools across the nation. Did you play trumpet, French horn, clarinet, saxophone, trombone, baritone or tuba in middle school? Why not give it another try!! More college scholarships are available for instrumental music than any other extracurricular activity. See your guidance counselor to sign up for a band or orchestra class. The Magnificent Marching Warrior band wants you! Please see Mr. Woodis in the band room for more information. Spring marching band camp will begin on Tuesday, April 14 at 3:10 p.m.
Any students in grades 9 – 11 interested in trying out for the Platinum Dolls Dance squad must pick up an application from Mr. Woodis no later than Friday, March 13. ALL STUDENTS INCLUDING CURRENT BAND MEMBERS MUST TRYOUT IF INTERESTED IN DANCING FOR THE 2015 – 2016 SCHOOL YEAR.
Blocks 6 & 7 – Due by class time on Mon, 3/16/15
Block 1 – Due by class time on Tue, 3/17/15
This project will count as two quiz grades (one grade for each part).
- 10 points per school day will be deducted for late papers and/or presentations.
- 10 points will be deducted for failure to follow the guidelines for submission of papers and/or presentations.
PART ONE: PAPER
- Write a 300-word paper on your assigned disorder, using Calibri or Times New Roman in 12 pt. font.
- Include the following information:
- Describe the phenotypic characteristics of persons affected with the disorder.
- Discuss the inheritance pattern of the disorder and which chromosome(s) or gene(s) is/are affected.
- Discuss interesting information and facts that you have learned about your disorder.
- Use APA format.
- See “Writing and Citations Aids” on the Web Resources page for help with APA format and citations.
- Spelling and grammar WILL count! Points will be deducted for errors.
- All sources MUST be cited!
- You may submit your paper into the assignment on Edmodo OR turn in a hard copy.
PART TWO: ORAL CLASS PRESENTATION
- Prepare a 3-4 minute oral presentation for the class about your assigned disorder.
- You must use one of the following tools for your presentation:
- Google Slides
- Include the following in your presentation:
- Karyotypes or diagrams that show the affected chromosome(s) or gene(s).
- Pictures of affected individuals.
- In the oral portion of your presentation, include any information, facts, and/or diagrams about about your disorder that your audience may find interesting.
- Don’t be afraid to be creative!
- Cite your sources!
SUBMITTING YOUR PRESENTATION:
- The final product MUST be submitted before class time on the due date. If using Prezi or Google Slides, be sure to obtain the shareable link so that the presentation can be opened. You have two options:
- ABSOLUTELY NO FLASHDRIVES WILL BE ACCEPTED!!
- These submission guidelines are not optional. Failure to follow them will result in loss of points! NO EXCUSES!!
Wellness Tip of the Day - At a Sporting Event? Find a place where you can pace along the sidelines rather than watch from the sitting area.
- Parking!! – Teachers and Students with all the recent snow we ask that you please be patient while the snow melts from the parking lot. If someones is parked in your parking spot please park in the 180’s
- SOL Testing –
- Tuesday: Algebra I, Geometry, EOC Writing Multiple Choice
- Wednesday: History, EOC Writing Short paper
- Thursday: Science
- AP Exams – Payment for AP exams are now due. All payments must be submitted by March 13th to your AP teacher. All students enrolled in AP courses must submit and “AP Intent to test form” by Wednesday March 4th. Forms must be submitted even if you do not plan to take the AP exam in May.
- NRHS Singers – Congratulations to our Warrior Singers for making All-State / All – Virginia Choir. Both Cady Strickland and Rodney McKeithan made All-State, with Lauren Smith and Justin Jones- Cummings as 1st alternates. We are so proud of you!.
- Prom Committee – The next meeting will be next Tuesday, March 10th. The decorator will be there to discuss ideas. See you then!
- Mrs. Hatfield’s Honor Students – All HW for Unit 10 is due on Wednesday! ( March 4th)
- Seniors- Please request transcripts through Parchment for all of the colleges that you have applied to this school year. Mrs. Cruey must send 1st semester grades this week.
- CTE Non-Traditional Extravaganza – Is this Thursday! March 5th. Please bring the rest of those permission slips in by Wednesday morning to Mrs. J. Smith in room 123. Don’t forget you must dress up on Thursday! Guys – shirt & tie, ladies: appropriate dress, skirt or pants.
- National Honor Society – Don’t forget about National Honor Society’s Corn hole tournament! Held during all lunch sifts. It is $1 to play. Congratulations to Gage Williams for getting the highest score. Try your skill to tie him. Additionally, no meeting at all today!
- The Bold – Meeting March 4th, Join us to learn more about how to live confidently! Room 100 @3:10 -4pm.
- FBLA – Attention Members! The spring FBLA Conference is this Saturday, 07 March, and all members are encouraged to attend. If you are interested, ask for a field trip permission slip form a business teacher.
- Science Club – will meet 3/3 at 3:10 in room 210. Lab #7 will be performed during the meeting.
- Anime Club – will meet THURSDAY (3/5/15) in Ms. Newsome’s room (103).