Information Session for Students & Parents
Current 8th-graders interested in finding out more about the Project Lead the Way – Pathway to Engineering are invited to attend this session. This four-year program is housed at Nansemond River High School, but is open to eligible students from any high school attendance zone with transportation provided.
- November 20, 2014
- 6:30 p.m.
- Nansemond River High School Auditorium
Applications will be distributed during the information session and will also be available in the middle schools after November 20, 2014.
Suffolk Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability,or age in its programs and activities.
For inquiries, contact Douglas Dohey at 925-6750.
Project Lead the Way is available to all eligible students enrolled in Suffolk Public Schools. Transportation is provided to students throughout the city.
The national website is www.pltw.org
Very important cumulative SOL test tomorrow — study Content Notes and do exercises (except multistep equations).
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held on Friday, November 14th, from 10:00AM until 1:00PM and then again from 2:30PM until 6:00PM. Teachers will send home a parent/teacher conference form to schedule times to meet. Please return these forms to your child’s teacher. If you do not have a scheduled time, please contact your child’s teacher. There will be NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS!
Thanks to Creekside’s newest Business Partner for the 2014-15 school year, Rodman’s Barbeque! We appreciate your support!
Sign up for Remind. Check it out on remind.com. Use this phone number: (757) 809-2118, and use the code for your class (see below).
2nd block – Remind code: @stoneblk2 HW: Complete the s8.1 Concept Map and ws, and p200 #2, 3, 5, 6. Cell Transport Quiz next class (focus on vocabulary). Nine Weeks Test next class.
4th block – Remind code: @stoneblk4 Nine Weeks Test next class. Bring 20 blank index cards to class Wed 11/5.
7th block – Remind code: @stoneblk7 Nine Weeks Test tomorrow and Friday. Bring 20 blank index cards to class on Mon 11/3.
Brown Bag Book Report Book reports are due Thursday, Oct. 30 and count as a TEST grade.
(Blue Booklet) Complete pp. 7, 26, 29, 30, 31, 32
Test tomorrow on Sols 6.1 and 6.2….study everything in your interactive notebook dealing with 6.1 and 6.2.
All Blocks: Continue to study notes on probability.
Don’t forget to bring in a new notebook for the second nine weeks by Monday.
Practice with Study Island (Practice and/or Game Mode)
- Wellness Tip of the Day - Assert yourself. Don’t let anyone make health or wellness decisions for you that you don’t feel comfortable with. If you don’t want to eat that donut or have a drink, then don’t.
- Academic Team - Hooray for our Academic Team. They soundly defeated Oscar Smith yesterday by a score of 190 to 160. This victory was effectively led by team captain Joseph Ficklen, with able assistance by team mates Dixie Cox, Rich Hyman, Rhiannon Glossin, Ryan Greening, Tyler Robinson, and Derek Sanchak. Way to go Warriors Academic Team!
- Attention Juniors and Seniors- The Josten’s Representative will be here Thursday (tomorrow) 10/30 and Friday 10/31 to take orders for class rings and Senior items such as cap & gown, invitations, etc..
- ROTC- canned food drive will be held November 3 – November 23rd. Please bring canned goods to the ROTC room.
- VOICE Club- Next VOICE club meeting is November 3rd. Seniors won’t want to miss this meeting!! All members are encouraged to attend. Voice has collected 151 pairs of socks. There is only two days left so the time to donate is now!! Can Nansemond River break 200 pairs of socks??? Drop them off at Ms. Lynn’s room anytime or bring them Thursday to be collected during 1st block.
- Basketball - Boys basketball tryouts for the upcoming season will be Nov. 10th 3:15 – 5:30 for all Freshmen and Sophomores and Nov. 11 from 9:00-12:00 for Juniors and Seniors. There is NO SCHOOL on the 11th so there will be NO bus service before and after practice.
To try out, you must have at least a 2.0 GPA and a current physical (dated AFTER May 1, 2014) on file here at NRHS.
There will be NO physicals given here at NRHS before tryouts begin but you can get one a IC NORCOM HS on NOV 6 beginning at 5:00. You must have $10 cash and your physical form signed by a parent/guardian BEFORE you take you physical.
- NHS - During all lunch shifts this Wednesday the 29th through Friday the 31st the National Honor Society will have a guessing jar set up and whoever guesses the closest will receive a Chipolte gift card! It’s .50 to place a guess and all proceeds will be going to the Michelle – 0 – Gram to help women who cannot afford yearly mammograms.
- Nansemond River Performing Arts Company- If you are interested in auditioning for Disney’s Cinderella then come out Today, October 28th immediately after school to the Chorus room!! Please prepare a 30 second monologue, and to be considered for a larger role, you MUST sing a 1 minute selection froma Disney musical ( preferably not Cinderella). Additionally, you need to check your schedules, as rehearsals will be done in November and every day in December leading to the production. If you are interested in tech, you must come by and fill out an application and sign up. You will not need to stay any longer than that. Once you audition, you will be excused to leave. Please have a ride that day. Any questions, please see Dr. Neighbors or her assistant directors Emily Hunter or Kenny Couch.
- SAT prep - The last SAT prep class for the fall session will be on Thursday afternoon. Participants will be given an opportunity to take 2 timed section of SAT at that time. This will give opportunity for students to test their skill in both reasoning and mathematics. Participants are asked to report to room 114 at 3:15 pm and plan to stay until 4:15.
- VA/US HISTORY SOL TUTORING- This week’s VA/US History SOL Tutoring with Ms. Francis on Thursday after school has been cancelled. Next week there will be 2 days of tutoring on Tuesday 10/28 and Thursday 10/30.
- SAT prep Class - will be held Thursday, Oct 30 at 3:15 in room 114. This will be the last SAT prep for the fall session. Participants will be given an opportunity to take 2 timed sections of the SAT at that time. This will give students an opportunity to test their skills in both reasoning and mathematics. Participants are asked to report to Room 114 at 3:15 and plan to stay until 4:15.
- Anime Club- is having a Halloween party this Thursday 10/30 in Ms. Newsome’s room 103 after school @ 3:00. Please sign up for what you plan to bring!!
- 10th grade students- will be going to the Pruden Center on December 8th and 9th to tour the facility and explore the programs that are offered. Permission slips will be given out in English class and should be returned to Mrs. Fike in guidance no later than November 21st.
ATTENTION GRADUATING SENIORS- APPRENTICE PROGRAM - The Norfolk Naval Shipyard will start accepting applications on November 3, 2014 for its Apprentice Program and invites interested graduating seniors to apply. The apprentice program is a formal paid training program that teaches a persona trade while getting paid. It combines both on-the-job training with academic course work in partnership with Tidewater Community College (TCC). See the information folder on Mrs. Cruey’s door for more details.
- Guidance - Attention Seniors: Scholarship Bulletin number 2 is now available. Please see your English or Government teacher, librarian or counselor.
- Fall 2014 SOL Writing Test- Students who are scheduled to graduate in June 2015 or August 2015 and have not yet passed the English Writing SOL are scheduled to test on the following dates:
Multiple Choice: October 28
Direct Writing: October 29.
As testing approaches, students are encouraged to attend our after-school tutoring program to help them
prepare for the upcoming retesting. English Writing SOL tutoring began on October 13th.
The following dates are still available for students who are in need of additional tutoring:
Tutoring Dates: 10/20, 10/21 & 10/23 Any student who does not pass the English Writing SOL in October will retest again on December 9 & December 10. Cell phones and other electronic devices: While in the testing room, students may not access cell phones or other electronic devices while any students are testing. Students who refuse to remove their cell phones or other electronic devices from their work area (such as from pockets, desk tops, purses and backpacks stored within reach, etc.), will not be permitted to test until the device is secured. Unauthorized materials: During testing students should have access only to those materials permitted for the test they are taking. Students may not access any other unauthorized materials during testing. Such materials include but are not limited to: books, class notes, course content review materials, test taking strategy reminders, notes, text books and other curriculum materials, “cheat sheets,” extra highlighters, non-school issued scratch paper, etc.
The Virginia Department of Education presents its Governor’s School Summer Residential Acaademies for juniors and seniors. Academies offered in:
- Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Marine Science
- Life Science and Medicine
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Foreign Languages
- Link here for a flyer.
Schools must submit nominees by November 12.
Information and applications are available on the website:
Applications are available on the Advanced Academics blog: http://blogs.spsk12.net/spsgifted/
See your school counselor for more details:
Mary Eberwine, KFHS
Sheila Williams, LHS
Anne Fike, NRHS
Parent Teacher Conference Day will be on Friday, November 14, from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm and 2:30-6:00 pm. School will be closed for students. The building will be closed for lunch breaks from 1:00-2:30 pm, so please plan accordingly.
There will be a Parent/Student information session for anyone interested in Project Lead the Way (PLTW) on November 20, 2014 at 6:30 p.m in the Nansemond River High School Auditorium. Applications will be distributed during the information session and will also be available in the middle schools after November 20th. Click here for additional details.
A Parent/Student Information Session for Project Lead the Way will be held on November 20, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. in the Nansemond River High School Auditorium. For more information, please click the following link: PLTW Information Session.
4th Grade Colonial Day will be Wednesday, November 19, 2014. Please click on the letter below for more information.
Colonial Day Letter
Tickets to the dance have been sold out!!
We’ll see all you ghouls and goblins there!
Remember, Tickets will not be sold at the door and this is a John Yeates students only event.
The SCA is sponsoring a frightastic Halloween dance this Thursday, October 30, from 6-8 pm. Hop on your broomstick and catch a picture in our photo booth! Come as you are or wear your “fang”tastic costume, but NO masks, weapons or look alike weapons will be permitted. Snacks and drinks are free. Get your ticket soon because once they’re gone, they’re gone. See Ms. Klein, Ms. Miller or Ms. Cook for tickets.