** There will be a spelling, multiplication , and reading test every week**
You can practice spelling words by going to the following link in Spelling City. There are games and activities for students to practice with https://www.spellingcity.com/aprfleming/ Spelling list for the entire year are uploaded to be studied.
We will start our week off by completing the MAP reading assessment, since we had issues the week before last with connectivity. This should NOT take our entire day! Remember, we have discussed using your strategies while remembering that if everyone stays focused and on task that this assessment should take no more than approximately 2 1/2 hours.
This week’s homework is posted up top, as always. All assignments are due on Friday, 2/24/17. The math homework is a repeat as many students did not complete the long division properly. There are detailed instructions on the sheet that I will hand out Monday morning. These problems should not have a decimal added, or any zeros annexed, but will all have remainders. Each answer must be checked by multiplying the quotient by the divisor. If your assignment was completed correctly last week, you will have NO math homework this week.
In science we will continue with oceans (SOL 5.6), and learn about currents, review food webs, complete a review activity in class, as well as a culminating review in Mrs. Griffin’s room on Friday, 2/24/17.
In social studies we will work on westward expansion (SOL USI.8), and color a map.
In math we will begin working with fractions (SOL 5.2).
In reading we will continue to write sentences with the vocabulary words from last week and start working with three new words. Remember that 2 dojo points will be given to the student with the best illustration and the best sentence for each word. On Wednesday we will create paper chains in pairs and attach a cause and then an effect to events given to each student. On Thursday we will read Goldilocks and the Three Bears and attach a cause and effect to the story events.
In writing, we will FINISH our Environmentalist formal writings. Some students have already finished this!
Don’t forget that your Bill of Rights project is due Tuesday, February 28, 2017.
Please send a shoe box in with your child on Monday!
Important things to know about homework are:
• Please write the title of the book your student read to you that day in his/her agenda.
• Please make sure your child reads TO you every night. They can check out books on Wednesday during library. However, if they need a new one before then, they can go before school.
• The spelling words are part of the reading skills for that week so please check that they are doing one menu item nightly and returning the assignment to school every day.
• I will send home a reading passage that your child needs to read to you nightly. There is 1 question to answer per day. Please sign and return these to me on Friday.
• On the weeks that your child has word sorts in the zipper pouch in the front of the binder, please make sure they practice nightly.
We will work on the following skills in Reading this nine weeks:
• Use consonants, consonant blends, and consonant digraphs to decode words.
• Use knowledge of short, long, and r-controlled vowel patterns to decode and spell words.
• Use information in the story to read words.
• Use knowledge of sentence structure.
• Use knowledge of story structure and sequence.
• Reread and self-correct
• Use vocabulary from other content areas.
• Ask and answer questions about what is read in fiction and nonfiction.
• Locate information to answer questions.
• Describe characters, setting, and important events in fiction and poetry.
• Identify main idea in fiction and nonfiction.
• Draw conclusions based on text.
• Table of Contents
• Text features
• prefixes and suffixes
• identify syllables
• identify synonyms, antonyms, homphones
In Science this week, we will continue learning about living and non-living things. We are creating our dioramas this week and your student needs a shoe box on Monday.
This week in Math we will start learning about units of measurement.
In Social Studies we will begin learning about Ancient China.
Mrs. Cindy Martie
Thank you so much for the Valentine gifts. I really appreciated them.
Monday, February 2oth, will be the Big Blast Party. If your child received a yellow form please return it or he/she will not be able to attend.
The Kindergarten Recognition Ceremony will take place Tuesday, February 21st, at 9:50.
This week we will be discussing: beginning, middle, and ending of stories, digraphs, concept of word (COW) writing sentences phonetically, ordering words to make a complete sentence, telling time to the hour and exploring with magnets.
Sign up for Remind. Check it out on remind.com. Use this phone number: (757) 809-2118, and use the code for your class (see below).
1st block – Remind code: @stoneblk1 If needed, finish the vocabulary (pp308, 313, 319, zygote)(21 words total). HW: Watch the Bozeman Science video titled Beginner’s Guide to Punnett Squares. Take your own notes. Book check – Bring your textbook or take a picture of the inside front cover.
3rd block – Remind code: @stoneblk3 If needed, finish the vocabulary (pp308, 313, 319, zygote)(21 words total). HW: Watch the Bozeman Science video titled Beginner’s Guide to Punnett Squares. Take your own notes. Book check – Bring your textbook or take a picture of the inside front cover.
7th block – Remind code: @stoneblk7 If needed, finish the vocabulary (pp308, 313, 319, zygote)(21 words total). HW due Tues 2/21: Watch the Bozeman Science video titled Beginner’s Guide to Punnett Squares. Take your own notes. Book check – Bring your textbook or take a picture of the inside front cover.