Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope everyone has enjoyed their long weekend. Thank you to those of you who have served in the military. As the wife of a retired Army officer and mother of 2 soldiers I know firsthand your sacrifices..
The state SOL tests continue this week for 3rd-5th grades. We will have to be exceptionally quiet due to testing in our pod and when walking to lunch.
I have included homework in the email newsletter as this week the students will have to copy their own homework into their agendas. This is to prepare them for next year. Therefore, if they miscopy anything, you will have a copy also.
We will have an end of the year celebration on the last day of school. After lunch the students will have ice cream sundaes. The 2nd grade teachers have decided to all supplies needed for the party.
We will work on the following skills in Reading this nine weeks:
• Use consonants, consonant blends, and consonant digraphs to decode words.
• Use knowledge of short, long, and r-controlled vowel patterns to decode and spell words.
• Use information in the story to read words.
• Use knowledge of sentence structure.
• Use knowledge of story structure and sequence.
• Reread and self-correct
• Use vocabulary from other content areas.
• Ask and answer questions about what is read in fiction and nonfiction.
• Locate information to answer questions.
• Describe characters, setting, and important events in fiction and poetry.
• Identify main idea in fiction and nonfiction.
• Draw conclusions based on text.
In Science this week, we will continue learning about the parts of a plant and all the ways we use plants in our lives.
In Math this week until the end of the year, we will work with multiplication and 3 digit addition/subtraction.
In Social Studies we will continue our economics unit.
Mrs. Cindy Martie